A/UX and X11R4

Steve Peters peters at apple.apple.com
Thu Aug 2 06:56:10 AEST 1990

In article <4ahV2P600VIBQ1moA1 at andrew.cmu.edu> es2j+ at andrew.cmu.edu
(Edward John Sabol) writes:
> Do most people on the net compile their own X11R4 (which
> can be ftp'd for free) or buy Apple's X package for $200-300? Is there
*any*
> difference/advantage to buying Apple's?

MacX is included in the latest A/UX X Window System product. It runs in
the A/UX Finder environment. It is not part of the MIT distribution.

The A/UX X Window System product also includes an X11R4 server derived
from the MIT distribution. It incorporates some of our own performance
tweaks and a slew of "blessed" MIT bug fixes.

The product includes Installation, User, and Reference Guides, created by
our Publications group. Neophyte users (and others) tell us they like
these, a lot.

Retail price on the above is $395.

> >I've heard reports on the net that X11R4 still compiles under A/UX 2.0
without
> >problems.

This is virtually ensured  by Apple's continuing participation as a member
of the MIT X Consortium and our regular contributions of ddx code for the
sample server.

Steve Peters
X Project Leader
Apple Computer, Inc.