IP over Localtalk to A/UX

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Wed Aug 29 05:49:03 AEST 1990

talley at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James T. Talley) writes:

>In message <3121 at ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> Ira Rampil writes:
>>Why can't AUX handle TCP/IP via LocalTalk to our gateways????

Because it does not support IP over localtalk.

>>BTW NCSA Telnet does work under AUX Multifinder but wont cut it
>>for all we want to do, ie bidirectional ftp to the Mac hosts, and
>>rlogins to the Macs from the net, as well as Mail and News.  Does
>>any know of a PD or third party solution to this capricious
>>limitation???

"Capricious limitation" is a bit strong ;-) . "Nice extra feature
which requires a lot of work and which was not included" is closer
to the truth.

>This may be a naive question, but as someone about to purchase an
>A/UX system I'd like to know if this is the case in general.  Is
>A/UX able to speak TCP/IP through its LocalTalk connection?

No, only Appletalk is supported by the software.

>Do I need an Ethernet card and/or a FastPath?

Yes, if you want to use TCP/IP over localtalk to A/UX.  If you want
to use SLIP, then you need a program which supports SLIP from the
Mac side.  A couple of these have been mentioned recently in
comp.sys.mac.comm .

>I'd planned on using MacTCP on the other Macs on the net, if that
>makes a difference.

Currently, you need a gateway. I might add, though, that since
A/UX supports localtalk (and Ethernet,) it should be possible for some
enterprising person to write a software gateway which runs on
the A/UX box.  (This is no small task.)

>James Talley

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team