Owners and Perm for serial ports (Ver 2.0)

Jim Jagielski jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 30 21:06:38 AEST 1990

Hello there Apple... I have a question.

I am running A/UX 2.0 and am using lpq as my printer daemon. This is set
up for AppleTalk on the printer port. My modem port is used as, of course,
a modem port. So of course, everyone should have rw permissions on
/dev/modem and /dev/tty0. What SHOULD the perms be on /dev/printer and
/dev/tty1? What I have (and what 2.0 is shipped as) is as follows:

crw-rw-rw-   1 bin      bin        0,  0 Apr 10 04:00 /dev/modem
crw-rw-rw-   1 bin      bin        0,  1 Apr 10 04:00 /dev/printer
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       0,  0 Aug 20 14:12 /dev/tty0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       0,  1 Apr 10 04:02 /dev/tty1

Now, since AppleTalk is being used as the printer interface, does this mean
that Everyone must have rw access to the printer port too? I can understand
w access, but r access too? Is AppleTalk 2-way when printing to a LaserWriter?
If so, then I guess rw IS needed, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."