Help with SysQuest drive.

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Fri Aug 10 08:32:52 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <43800 at apple.Apple.COM>,
  blob at Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
< unger at cdp.UUCP writes:
< >I am trying to use a [...] SysQuest removable cartradge drive
< The file is /info-mac/util/scsi-fix-error-page.hqx
< on sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
<
Unfortunately, that's not all that needs fixing.

- When you start A/UX, there must be a driver for the cartridge. The driver
should be loaded by an INIT, because if it's read from an inserted cartridge
(or if you have a cartridge mounted when starting A/UX) the drive is locked
and you'll be unable to swap cartridges.

- Under A/UX, when you start the MacOS system, the cartridge will be there
(provided that its error page is fixed, the partition map is correct, there's
only one partition on the drive -- it wouldn't surprise me if it'd take the
phase of moon into account too...). Don't remove a cartridge before dragging
it into the trashcan!

- How do I re-mount a cartridge (or mount another one) without restarting the
MacOS environment? This is a major pain! The Finder recognizes floppy disks
without problem (BTW: Why is the default for a valid Macintosh floppy
"A/UX data" while an invalid floppy, presumably containing a file system, can
only be ejected or formatted? Switching to the CommandShell "fixes" that
problem, but it's still (a) a major pain and (b) needlessly modal because the
Shell doesn't recognize HFS floppies as such...)
  I tried calling Mount (from the MPW Shell ;-) but all I got was an I/O
error. (The drive number was correct...) I didn't yet try posting a disk
inserted event; would that help? (I doubt it. :-( )

< Should we start a "most-frequent-answers" message for this group?
<
Probably -- once someone figures out what the answers are... ;-)

Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(Voice)/621227(PEP)