Help with SysQuest drive.

Justin Walker justin at Apple.COM
Sat Aug 11 05:27:29 AEST 1990

In article <g^]/e2.&92 at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.unix.aux, article <43800 at apple.Apple.COM>,
>  blob at Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>< unger at cdp.UUCP writes:
>- How do I re-mount a cartridge (or mount another one) without restarting the
>MacOS environment? This is a major pain! The Finder recognizes floppy disks
>without problem
	Alas, A/UX currently does not recognize "insertion events" on other
	than floppy drives.

>(BTW: Why is the default for a valid Macintosh floppy
>"A/UX data" while an invalid floppy, presumably containing a file system, can
>only be ejected or formatted? Switching to the CommandShell "fixes" that
>problem, but it's still (a) a major pain and (b) needlessly modal because the
>Shell doesn't recognize HFS floppies as such...)
>  I tried calling Mount (from the MPW Shell ;-) but all I got was an I/O
>error. (The drive number was correct...) I didn't yet try posting a disk
>inserted event; would that help? (I doubt it. :-( )
	The search for the "correct" behavior on insert events is fraught
	with pitfalls.  After a lot of discussion, we felt that a good
	compromise was to leave the behavior as is for Mac Apps, and
	for CommandShell, make the assumption that the new floppy is
	intended as an A/UX disk (e.g., Tar, file system, ...).

	Thus the default behavior is Mac-ish when you are dealing with a
	Mac App, and accounts for the Unix possibilities when dealing with
	CommandShell.

	The behavior is the same in either case if the disk is unreadable:
	you get to format or eject it.

	If it doesn't work this way for you, let us know.

>Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de
>Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(Voice)/621227(PEP)

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin at apple.com) *
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  When meetings are outlawed,
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |    Only outlaws will have meetings
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *