A/UX Questions...

Justin Walker justin at Apple.COM
Thu Aug 16 11:28:23 AEST 1990

In article <6509 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> beard at ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) writes:
>o  How does one adjust the amount of virtual memory the system uses?
	In /mac/bin/mac32 (or mac24), add to the "startmac" line the flag
	"-mxm" (for example, "-m16m"), to get a virtual RAM size of "x" MB.
	Note that a variety of reasons, "x" can be at most 16 (or 8 in 24-bit mode).
	You can also set the environment variable TBMEMORY=xm, x as above.

>o  How do I get MPW 3.1 to work?  It hangs my system.
	You can't do it directly; MPW 3.1 is not A/UX compatible.  Apple's DTS may
	be able to help you with work-arounds for some incompatibilities (to get
	past the hang, for example).

>o  How do I keep command lines that I edit with backspace keep from erasing
>the prompt?  I know line  discipline is the issue here, how  do I turn it
>on?
	You can't.  We don't support the appropriate line discipline.

>o  Can I refer to a file on mac file system disks from within Unix?  Can the
>mac volume appear to be under the / volume?
	Another "no can do".  The "A/UX finder world" is the only way to access both
	file systems.  You could write a "hybrid app" that attached to the finder
	world, but you can't access HFS volumes from the A/UX kernel directly.

	In a similar vein, you can't "mount" an HFS volume on an A/UX inode.

>Thanks.
>-  Patrick Beard, Macintosh Programmer                        (beard at lbl.gov) -

Regards,

Justin
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Group                              |
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  When meetings are outlawed,
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |    Only outlaws will have meetings
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin at apple.com) *