HP DeskWriter...

E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc einhorn at hydra.unm.edu
Mon Aug 20 20:15:23 AEST 1990

According the minimal documentation Apple ships with with AUX 2.0 a
printer connected with a serial cable instead of Appletalk is supported
only by the unix print spooler(s).  Seems to be mostly the AT&T System
V stuff with enough of the BSD stuff left hanging around to keep things
confusing.  Haven't figured out if /etc/printcap really does anything
under AUX or is just a decoy.

Need to use the incantations you've already figured out to get the
Appletalk turned off before you can do anything but Appletalk on the
printer port.  Then look in in /usr/spool/lp for some undocumented
shell scripts with names name begin w/ ADD_  I used ADD_IW and got it
to talk with an ImageWriter II.

Anybody know what's wrong here and why Apple couldn't get the chooser
to work correctly.  While this is probably the spot where I need to try
to add some capabilities the most it's probably a minefield for a
experienced AUX programmer and not the best place to try one's first
AUX hack.

What I'd really like to try to do is a Ghostscript port and hang a cheap
HP clone out there and make the system think its got a LaserWriter.  Unless
somebody has gotten Ultrascript from QMS or one of the other garden variety
Postscript interpreter MacOS applications to work under AUX.  At least that's
what the adversting copy leads me to think Ultrascript is.
 einhorn at hydra.unm.edu