Long file name bug

Patrick C Beard beard at ux5.lbl.gov
Thu Aug 16 02:42:20 AEST 1990

In article <10263 at celit.fps.com> rory at fps.com (Rory Bolt) writes:
#Hello!
#    I observed the following behavior under A/UX 2.0B9 and I was wondering if
#it got fixed in the released version of A/UX 2.0 (I have not had the time to
#update my system yet...).  With the addition of the Berkeley fast file system,
#A/UX can handle extremely long file names. I noticed that the finder "loses"
#files with names longer than it can handle (32 chars?). I can almost
#understand this (although it should be capable of truncating and adding
#a unique suffix), however, all files in the same directory with
#lexigraphically greater names are also lost.

This is attributable to the Finder.  Mac OS doesn't support file names
of longer than 31 characters.  So, to be compatible with both file systems,
the A/UX finder truncates to 31 characters.  This is a limitation of Mac OS
so I don't think it will ever be longer.  However; I agree with you that they
should truncate and generate a unique name, such as, xxxx001, xxxx002, where
xxxx stands for the first 28  characters.