Hint on removing strange files

Patrick C Beard beard at ux5.lbl.gov
Thu Aug 16 02:33:14 AEST 1990

In article <2550 at sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
#Lots of Mac programs produce exotic filenames containing things
#like trademark symbols, those curly Fs that people use to
#denote folders and so on. A recent case in point is the INIT
#that Disinfectant 2.0 installs in your System Folder, which is
#called "X Disinfectant INIT" where X is a diamond character (\327)
#
#The A/UX shells are not 8-bit clean, so they strip off the top
#bit, hence
#
#        echo *Disinf*
#gives   W Disinfectant INIT
#
#So how do you remove the file that is causing your Mac session
#to crash when it loads in this init?

Your answer is quite helpful, and I will  use it in the future, but
I didn't know it when I needed to get back up and running.  What I ended
up  doing was to use Macsbug to break  on OpenResFile inside INIT 31.  When
the failing  INIT file (Suitcase* II, * stands for option-2) was opened,
I set ResErr to -1 so INIT 31  wouldn't load any INITs from it.  This worked.