gcc patch updates & experiences

John Coolidge coolidge at casca.cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 1 08:32:08 AEST 1990

Well, they've been out about a week now, and as usual there are
problems major and minor to fix...

There are two patches now available on wuarchive.wustl.edu. They are:

gcc-1.37.91.aux.patch1		Fixes a bug in gcc-1.37.91.aux.diffs
					which breaks register prefixes.
gcc.update.patch1		Fixes an incompatibility between my
					code (based on 1.37.91) and the
					original patch (based on 1.37).

These have been built in to gcc-1.37.91.aux.diffs and gcc.update.patch,
so if you get them after you read this you're safe. They have not (yet)
been applied to the source distribution, so you still need to apply
gcc-1.37.91.aux.patch1 to the source distribution.

Other problems: several people have asked about the directory
arrangement the binaries are to live in. I've got things compiled
so that the driver program (gcc) lives in /usr/local/Gnu and the
other files live in /usr/local/Gnu/lib. This is how I have things
set up on my machine, and it's much easier to export things when
you just have to tar 'em up :-). On the other hand, fixincludes
is still pointed at /usr/local/lib, which isn't much help...
oh well, consistency isn't always one of my virtues :-) :-(.

Problems with compilation: I did not define _SVSV_SOURCE and
_BSD_SOURCE in the Makefile, which need to be defined for gcc
to compile correctly. I consider this a bug in the header files
that should be fixed. At any rate, for now these things need to
be defined in order for gcc (and many other things) to compile.

Asm statements and register prefixes: the register prefix code,
while very useful, can and will break asm statements. You need
to prefix registers in the string template part of an asm
statement with '%%' for the assembler to be happy (gcc should
remove one %). You also need to change the list of affected
registers to add the leading '%'.

--John