NASTY ksh bug in A/UX 2.0

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Fri Aug 10 12:31:35 AEST 1990

chad at cup.portal.com (Chad The-Walrus Netzer) writes:

>	Needless to say, I am VERY angry to find this bug

Hmm, you should be *pleased* to find the bug.  Don't you know that you
get a free membership in the exclusive A/UX BugFinders Club?

>I don't want or need the Finder running above, below, beside, or anywhere near
>my Unix environment.  I want to run UNIX, and only Unix.

Dare I ask: why are you running A/UX 2.0 if you don't want the Finder?

Seriously, if you *really* don't want the Finder, you don't have to...
just make Finder a link to CommandShell (and, you can still run Mac
applications by launching them from the command line.) Or, run native X.

>The last thing
>I need is to waste all my memory with Finder in the Background, or to
>accidentally select "Shutdown" or "Restart" from the Special menu, instead
>of "Logout" and having the rug pulled out from under Unix when I never
>intended to.

Doesn't waste all of your memory. Indeed, you can set TBMEMORY to 2200K
or perhaps even smaller, and run both Finder and CommandShell.

Shutdown and Restart ask you for the root password, unless you're running
the Mac environment as root. Most folks don't log in or run as root unless
they need to.

If the Shutdown and Restart menu items offend you, and you insist on
running as root, you can deactivate them with ResEdit.

Seriously, A/UX is quite customizable. One just has to be imaginative.

>	Finally, is there a way (other than the net) to inform Apple of bugs
>in A/UX 2.0 (I have found several) without aving to pay money t do so?  If
>not, then I mght as well move to a more reliable system with better support.

Yes, there is.  Any other questions? ;-)

>Chad Netzer
>chad at cup.portal.com

Bob Lantz
lantz at apple.com