Hopefully not too stupid a question...

Help On The Way ee299bw at sdcc6.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 2 06:03:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb1.054457.13492 at noao.edu> tody at noao.edu (Doug Tody X217) writes:
>From article <6787 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, by ee299bw at sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Help On The Way):
>> My question is: what exactly is A/UX, and what does it buy you.
>
>A/UX is unix.  It will give you what any other good unix system gives you.
>Seriously, this is a fairly difficult question to answer if you aren't
>already familiar with unix.  If you don't know why you need unix, probably
>you don't need it.

Well, I used unix all through college (and loved it) and survived
using VMS at my last job, and now I'm in an a near-exclusively Mac
environment. I think in many ways that Mac is a great machine, but
there's other stuff that just aggravates the hell out of me. The Mac
operating system is a total joke. The setting application memory
size via the Info box is just plain stupid. Neither the System nor
applications can ask for memory on-the-fly (other than their limited
heap areas), MultiFinder is not always successful in running
applications in the background, applications crashes often cause
system crashes... and so on. Hence my AUX question.

However, the Mac also has many strengths: the standardization
of some features across applications, the big screen on my mac
(MegaGraphics 19") required NO reconfiguration of .STUPID files,
most of the applications are quite good, Networking Macs is a piece
of cake (at least at AppleTalk speeds)... the list goes on. I was
hoping that AU/X would buy me out of the other annoyances, not to
mention allow two or possibly three users to share a Mac....
--
            Who: Dave Chesavage
          Where: dchesavage at ucsd.edu
     Disclaimer: "If you get confused listen to the music play"