X11R4 with patch 1 on A/UX: can't get server to work

Steve Green steveg at umd5.umd.edu
Tue Feb 6 15:32:11 AEST 1990

In article <{24B^*@rpi.edu> damour at pawl21.pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin Thomas Damour) writes:
]Hello,
]	# This is not so bad if I don't have xcalc to use.  What is more
]	# important is that the server doesn't work properly as shown when I
]	# startup using the command line:
]	#
]	#	xinit -- /usr/bin/X11/XmacII -logo -v -screen 1 -depth 8
]	#
]	# What happens is the following:
]	#
]	# Getting interface configuration: Can't assign requested address
]	#
]	# Fatal server bug!
]	# ioctl I_STR VIDEO_MAP_SLOT failed
]	# XIO:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server "#@"
]      	# after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
]      	# The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.
]	#
]	# Can anyone help out here?  Should I not use gcc?  This is the gcc I
]	# picked up already made from apple.com.  Any help is appreciated.
]
]I also had this problem.  After posting a message I received:
]
]	## From peters at ginsu.apple.com Mon Jan 22 22:59:18 1990
]	## Subject: Re: Question about X11R4 and A/UX
]	## In-Reply-To: Your message of Mon, 22 Jan 90 11:48:00 -0500.
]        ## 	<9001221648.AA00949 at sub.pawl.rpi.edu>
]	## Date: Mon, 22 Jan 90 17:37:38 -0800
]	## Status: R
]	##
]	## You must run fixincludes -- the gcc preprocessor otherwise mangles
]	## various constants used in ioctl calls. Alternatively, compile the
]	## server/ddx/mac and server/os/4.2bsd directories using the stock A/UX
]	## C compiler.
]
] I downloaded fixincludes, from a local machine,  and ran the script.
]It created several header files. After re-compiling X11R4,
]everything worked fine. (But xcalc was still broken - sorry)
]
]
]Hope this clears up your server problems also.
]
]  Kevin Damour
]  RPI, Troy NY
]  damour at pawl.rpi.edu

I built X11R4 with gcc and I have had no problems with xcalc or anything else.
One thing that I did that I think will help out is made a link from the big
assembler to /usr/local/lib or whereever the gcc stuff sits.  e.g.
	ln -s /usr/lib/big/as /usr/local/lib/gcc-as
This should help out with assember overflows, etc..  Also, I built the binaries
for gcc myself.  I got the sources and applied the patches as available from
apple.com.  If you want to have a copy of my binaries to try out, just drop
me some email.
	Also, there was talk on comp.windows.x about a bug in gcc 1.36.
It will affect you when building one of the libraries.  I think I recall
seeing some fixes for X to get around this but I dont remember fore sure.
--
	-steveg at umd5.umd.edu		..!uunet!mimsy!umd5!steveg
"Ignore the message: 'ld warning: file /tmp/kernAAAa06386 has no relocation