Syquest 44MB and A/UX

Howard Simonson howards at pinball.wpd.sgi.com
Mon Feb 26 11:46:17 AEST 1990

I'm happy to report total sucess so far with the "Fix-Error-Page" procedure.
I've been able to run dp on my Syquest carts and set them up as A/UX
filesystems.  Fairly good notes come with the Fix-Error-Page program,
which talks a bit about how to make an A/UX bootable backup cartridge.

There are just a few points that I'm not sure about and the notes don't
explicitly cover.  Maybe someone on the net can enlighten me.

Using the standard Apple Quantum as a guide, there are some 9 partitions.
I gather the first block of the disk is the boot block and simply is never
defined in the SCSI partition map.  If I expect to make a MacOS bootable,
SASH partition on the HardCart I'll need the boot block written, right?
And this will just occur as normal when I get around to writing the
System/Finder onto the SASH partition under MacOS, right?

Now there is this partition called the "Apple_Partition_Map" right at
blocks 1-64.  How does this thing relate?  What does it do?  My guess
is its a possible throwback to the days before everyone was doing true
SCSI partitioning.  Is this a must have for the MacOS boot phase?
If not, what goes at block 1+....  If this is a must have (like maybe
MacOS can't find the SASH partition without it?) what's the format,
how do I load it?  I would guess a straight copy of the 80meg version
wouldn't fly for a ~40meg HardCart.  Thankfully, the rest of the business
(i.e. creating FS/swap partitions) is fairly straightforward.

BTW, does anyone have a stock dp(1m) script that inits and build all
the partitions necessary for a bootable hardCart.  That would be a
real time saver and I'm sure you'd get a lot of net thanks.  Otherwise,
if and when I figure all this out and get it working, I'll try to post one.

Many thanks in advance for help with this stuff.  And a few thanks in
return for the pointers to fix-error-page, at least I'm backing up now!
Ancient Proverb: A person with one watch knows what time it is;
		 a person with two watches is never sure.

Modern Translation: They build clocks into every piece of consumer
		    electronics just to keep us totally confused.
howards at ssd.sgi.com
[ The disclaimer for this message may be found in a previous article ]