Newbury drives and A/UX

Ken Mitchum km at speedy.cs.pitt.edu
Thu May 3 05:36:00 AEST 1990

>The stnadard method I use to get AUX on non apple hd's is to use
>silver lining to do a low level format, and then to use HD Setup
>to partition it.  You can use resedit to modify HD Setup so it
>will recognise any drive.  HD Setup has trouble formatting some
>drives so leave it to something else.
>
>open code seg "%A5 INIT" and look for drive names.  Since these
>are pascal strings, there is a length byte in front of each drive
>name.  I usualy make the byte 1 and change the first letter to match
>the drive I have but I am told that makeing it a 0 will make it work
>with any drive.

As follow up to my original posting, I now have the Newbury 4830S working
under A/UX. I already had modified HD Setup as suggested above to recognize
the Newbury, but the problem was the excessive time the Newbury takes on
bus reset, which makes HD Setup abort on the initialization. The cure was
brute force: I used "dd" to raw copy the partition entries and MacOS
driver to the Newbury drive. HD Setup then saw a drive which did not need
to be initialized, so it allowed partitioning without trying to initialize
the drive, which avoided the abort.

  Ken Mitchum
  km at cs.pitt.edu