Formatting hard-disks for A/UX 2.0

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue May 29 18:48:58 AEST 1990

>jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:

>>I heard a nasty rumor that A/UX 2.0 won't work unless the disk it's being
>>installed on is formatted using Apple HD Setup.... Is this true?

There may be some problems with other disk formatter utilities:
I have had (am having) trouble with Storware which doesn't know
about A/UX at all. I am also nearly finished with writing a
Partition Map fixup program which puts in those little extras
like partition map entry signatures which A/UX demands but
MacOS doesn't!

These problems are mostly trivia: the A/UX dp utility handles a
lot of them (and runs from Sash so you don't need A/UX to
install A/UX) but having no partition map signatures was
something I ended up using adb to fix. My request to Apple's
DTS for a TechNote on who cares about what in disk partition
maps was rejected ("If people want to support A/UX then they
should read the A/UX documentation").

Has HD Setup been revised to put in the A/UX 2.0 preferred
slice numbers?

Remember that at beta10, A/UX 2.0 couldn't handle multiple
MacOS partitions on the same drive - has that been fixed yet?

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)