1.1.1 -> 2.0 ONE MORE TIME...

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Mon May 28 08:04:25 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990May25.193223.15478 at cbnewsc.att.com>,
  stuart at cbnewsc.att.com (S. D. Ericson) writes:
< In article <41083 at apple.Apple.COM>, lantz at Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
< > (Just in case you missed it, here's the latest info on A/UX 2.0)
< [ description of 2.0 ]
< > - A/UX 2.0 External 80MB Hard Disk:                $2,395
< > - A/UX 2.0 CD-ROM:                                   $795
< > - A/UX 2.0 Floppy Disk Product:                      $995
< > -  A/UX 2.0 Tape Product:                             $995
< ....
< Can someone explain to me why the tape version is SO expensive?  I can
< understand that 100 or so floppies can easily cost over $100, but two
< tapes can't be more than $50!  Is there something about the
< CD-ROM that I don't know?  CD-ROM's *DO* have a media cost,
< after all.
<
The media cost of a CD-ROM is on the order of $2.
The cost of 100 floppies is on the order of $80.
A tape cartridge (I suspect A/UX needs two) is $20 or lower.

To duplicate something to 100 floppies you need X minutes (depends on how
heavy-duty your disk duplicating machine is). You also need larger packing and
someone has to make sure that these floppies are all present.
To duplicate to a DC2000, and especially Apple's slow version of same, you
need half an hour while a Mac or similar is sitting there and writing to the
tape.  Then it's gotta be verified. Besides, a DC2000 tape has to be formatted
first, which takes 40 more minutes.
With a CD-ROM you have a one-time mastering cost on the order of $1500 and
that's it.
A normal 80 MB hard disk costs $800 except for the fact that painting it with
an apple-shaped rainbow (and they don't even get the colors right) costs
another $800. Or so it seems.

< I just don't get it.
Still not? ;-)
--