1.1.1 -> 2.0 ONE MORE TIME...

Jeff Noxon jeffn at nuchat.UUCP
Sun May 27 04:15:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990May25.193223.15478 at cbnewsc.att.com> stuart at cbnewsc.att.com (S. D. Ericson) writes:

>> -  A/UX 2.0 Tape Product:                             $995

>Can someone explain to me why the tape version is SO expensive?  I can
>understand that 100 or so floppies can easily cost over $100, but two
>tapes can't be more than $50!  Is there something about the
>CD-ROM that I don't know?  CD-ROM's *DO* have a media cost,
>after all.
>
>I just don't get it.

Apple is really pushing the CD-ROM drive.  By discounting the prices
of the CD products, they are encouraging people to buy the drive.  Besides,
CDs are VERY CHEAP to duplicate and the mastering cost is pretty cheap too.
I imagine it is a lot more trouble to duplicate a DC2000 tape.

These tapes, BTW, cost around $12 in large quantities.

Jeff

--
Jefferson Eric Noxon            | In front of every silver lining is a dark
jeffn%nuchat.uucp at uhnix1.uh.edu | cloud.