MultiFinder Virtual Memory Size under A/UX 2.0

Mat Davis davism at creatures.cs.vt.edu
Wed May 9 22:09:57 AEST 1990

In article <3223 at rodan.acs.syr.edu> demarsee at gamera.cns.syr.edu (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:
>I'm running A/UX 2.0b9, and want to set up the virtual memory capability
>when running under MultiFinder.  However, I can't remember which file it is
>I have to edit, and what to add to it, to get this to work.  Can anyone
>refresh my memory?  Also, how big can I make this?  I know that with an 8Mb-
>real machine I can run with 16Mb virtual memory.  How about with a 4Mb-real
>machine?  Can I still set it up as a 16Mb virtual machine, or do I have
>some lower limit?

I modified the files /mac/bin/mac24 and /mac/bin/mac32 to add '$*' on the
'startmac' command.  That way, I can type 'mac32 -m5m' to start a 5M Mac
environment, or just 'mac32' to use the default size (the size of physical
RAM).

So far as I've been told, 16M is the largest Mac environment that you can run,
but I'd expect that you could run that on a 4M machine with a 16M swap
partition (so that you 20M virtual memory; 2-3M for the kernel, 16M for the
Mac OS, and some to spare).  It would probably swap enough to be very slow,
but it should work.

	Mat