32bit clean list sought

John Coolidge coolidge at clitus.cs.uiuc.edu
Fri May 4 07:35:31 AEST 1990

gaige at intercon.com (Gaige B. Paulsen) writes:
>In article <1990May2.015444.3398 at brutus.cs.uiuc.edu>,
>coolidge at clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:
>> NCSA Telnet 2.3 works just fine for me; I can telnet to both
>> other machines and the A/UX machine itself. DNS isn't working
>> right now, but that's because MacTCP is not set right.

>NCSA Telnet handles DNS in its own way, which is different from most of the
>other MacTCP-compatible programs that are available.   For DNS, it uses the
>name servers defined in the "config.tel" file and does the resolution itself.
>Unfortunately, there are two problems with this.  One is that you must have
>a domain name server to resolve the names (other MacTCP compatible programs
>which use the MacTCP DNS stuff should pick up everything from the /etc/hosts
>file as well).  The other is that the socket used to send the DNS query from
>NCSA Telnet is not available to user programs (i.e. you must be root to use
>DNS from inside of NCSA Telnet).

Well, I reconfigured MacTCP to include DNS info (no easy task, mind
you: the MacTCP that comes with A/UX doesn't seem to want to leave
protected mode, even if you're root. I moved a MacOS configuration
over). After this, NCSA Telnet does DNS lookups just fine, without
ever playing with config.tel files or anything else. This is the
same experience as under MacOS --- with MacTCP's DNS info unset,
NCSA Telnet won't do DNS lookups, but with MacTCP set up Telnet will
do the lookups.

In any case, I now have NCSA Telnet 2.3 running under A/UX 2.0b9
and doing DNS lookups, so it definitely works fine.

--John