32bit clean list sought

Gaige B. Paulsen gaige at intercon.com
Fri May 4 06:21:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990May2.015444.3398 at brutus.cs.uiuc.edu>,
coolidge at clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:
> NCSA Telnet 2.3 works just fine for me; I can telnet to both
> other machines and the A/UX machine itself. DNS isn't working
> right now, but that's because MacTCP is not set right. SimCity

NCSA Telnet handles DNS in its own way, which is different from most of the
other MacTCP-compatible programs that are available.   For DNS, it uses the
name servers defined in the "config.tel" file and does the resolution itself.
Unfortunately, there are two problems with this.  One is that you must have
a domain name server to resolve the names (other MacTCP compatible programs
which use the MacTCP DNS stuff should pick up everything from the /etc/hosts
file as well).  The other is that the socket used to send the DNS query from
NCSA Telnet is not available to user programs (i.e. you must be root to use
DNS from inside of NCSA Telnet).

Gaige B. Paulsen
InterCon Systems Corporation