dump.bsd problem

E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc einhorn at triton.unm.edu
Fri Nov 2 10:22:04 AEST 1990

Anybody know what to make of the bread problem with the following attempt
at backing up may AUX partition.  Disk space is extremely cramped.  When
I issue the following command my current directory is on a volume that is
nfs mounted via an ethernet connection.  I had hoped to be able to do an nfs
mount via a slip connection.  I was expecting it to work poorly but it didn't
work at all.  Have to take my Mac for a ride in the car when I want to try
backups.

dump.bsd 0uf - /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 | compress > dump.root.Z
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon Oct 22 12:32:59 1990
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 to standard output
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 52343 tape blocks on 1.35 tape(s).
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
  DUMP: 11.16% done, finished in 0:39

	(more progress notes deleted)

  DUMP: (This should not happen)bread from /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 [block 116368]: count
=4096, got=0
  DUMP: DUMP: 52337 tape blocks on 1 tape(s)
  DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
  DUMP: level 0 dump on Mon Oct 22 12:32:59 1990

Anyway a message that says: (this should not happen) from my backup utility
does not give me much confidence.
 einhorn at triton.unm.edu