AUX problems and documentation

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Thu Nov 22 15:41:14 AEST 1990

allen at nntp-server.caltech.edu (Scott R. Allen) writes:

>First of all, there is some discussion with the people that I work
>with concerning the subject of running Macintosh applications under
>AUX.  They said that AUX supports Mac software written for MAC/OS.
>Is this so?

  It supports most MacOS software.  Programs that directly diddle the hardware
(e.g. your fancy SCSI utilities and the like) won't work.

>If you can run MAC/OS intended software under AUX does that mean that
>the software will use disk storage in the MAC/OS partition of the
>disk or in the AUX partition of the disk?
   Yes, to both.  The A/UX filesystem appears as a MacOS drive to the MacOS
programs (just click on the "Drive" button on the file dialogs and you'll
see the "/" disk drive).

>If the MAC/OS software running under AUX using the AUX partition of
>the disk, is it smart enough to respect the unix file/directory
>permissions that are in place?

Yep.  (Doing a "chmod 444 System" is a wonderful way to get rid of the
Creeping System Corruption disorder MacOS seems to be inordinately fond of...)

>We are using AUX 2.0 with MAC X and we are 'lauching' windows to
>run the mac software in.  ('lauching' is greek to me.)  We have the
  Well, it helps if you spell "launching" right. :-).  "Launching" is the
term Apple uses for starting up a MacOS program.  Don't ask me why they don't
just call it "starting up a MacOS program"...
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp