Upgrade Prices.

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Thu Nov 22 05:56:28 AEST 1990

Terry,

You wrote:

>After 5 or so months of waiting for an answer about upgrading A/UX 1.1 to
>2.0 I finally received the bad news from the local dealer.

If you bought A/UX 1.1 after March 19, 1990, you are eligible for a *free*
upgrade to 2.0.

>I called Apple Canada a number of times, of course they had no answers,
>etc. My dealer insisted only Apple could answer the upgrade question - in fact
>the dealer did come up with the procedure - and the PRICE but they to had
>problems getting any response from the Apple types in Toronto.

If your dealer cannot provide you with the information you need, you
are invited to call Apple's Customer Assistance line, (800) 776-2333 in
the U.S., and (408) 252-2775 from anywhere.

>I should have realized the problems were yet to come - when there were NO
>registration cards in the 1.1 box.  I called Apple - yup - no registration
>cards needed.  I know now why.

Upgrade forms were included with 1.1.1 systems purchased after March 19th.
If you didn't get one, you should call and ask for one.

>It never fails to amaze me - how Apple can continue to take advantage of their
>end user base - with their pricing/marketing schemes -they are truly ignorant.

I am sorry you feel this way.  I encourage you to call us up and explain
your situation and concerns.  You may also call (408) 996-1010 (you know,
the number which is written on everything) and ask to speak with Customer
Relations.

>Get this folks - I purchased A/UX 1.1 for $596.00 - with all sorts of promises
>about how the upgrade would go :-). In fact - a cheque for $450.00 will
>get me the 2.0 upgrade - no problem. I gathered from my dealer - the $450 is a
>price break - to get me off of their back.  I think the list price
>on the upgrage is - you guessed it.....$595.00.

I suggest you borrow a CD-ROM drive (from your dealer, for example,) and
get the upgrade on CD-ROM for $275 (list price.)  The floppy upgrade product
has a list price of $550, and the tape product has a list price of $395.

>If you have a need for Unix - buy a Sun, or some sort of Intel box and run
>AT&T or SCO Unix - I will now do that very thing.  In my opinion A/UX besides
>being Apple orphan (support is a joke) is over priced -bang for the buck, etc.

We are working hard to provide good support.  In addition to the A/UX hotline,
we provide support through A/UX authorized dealers, and via the Customer
Assistance line.  Additionally, Apple engineers often post to netnews.  I
encourage you to take advantage of these resources, and call to let us know
how you would like to see them improved.

>Terry Cioni in Calgary, Alberta.

Bob Lantz (in Cupertino, California.)
A/UX Team

"This is only the beginning of what the Unix community can expect from Apple."
-John Sculley