Upgrade Prices.

at xenlink.uucp at xenlink.uucp
Tue Nov 20 22:31:38 AEST 1990

After 5 or so months of waiting for an answer about upgrading A/UX 1.1 to
2.0 I finally received the bad news from the local dealer.

I called Apple Canada a number of times, of course they had no answers,
etc.  My dealer insisted only Apple could answer the upgrade question - in fact
the dealer did come up with the procedure - and the PRICE but they to had
problems getting any response from the Apple types in Toronto.

I should have realized the problems were yet to come - when there were NO
registration cards in the 1.1 box.  I called Apple - yup - no registration
cards needed.  I know now why.

It never fails to amaze me - how Apple can continue to take advantage of their
end user base - with their pricing/marketing schemes - they are truly ignorant.

Get this folks - I purchased A/UX 1.1 for $596.00 - with all sorts of promises
about how the upgrade would go :-).  In fact - a cheque for $450.00 will
get me the 2.0 upgrade - no problem.  I gathered from my dealer - the $450 is a
price break - to get me off of their back.  I think the list price
on the upgrage is - you guessed it.....$595.00.

If you have a need for Unix - buy a Sun, or some sort of Intel box and run
AT&T or SCO Unix - I will now do that very thing.  In my opinion A/UX besides
being Apple orphan (support is a joke) is over priced - bang for the buck, etc.

Terry Cioni in Calgary, Alberta.