Localtalk Printing Woes

Paul "BigEars" Menon pnm at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
Wed Nov 28 22:52:33 AEST 1990

hi,
  Urk - A/UX woes.  I have heard of this prob on the net b4 but I ignored it
  at the time (I didn't have A/UX then).

  Printing from Localtalk - using the chooser and "Mac Interface" (ie logged in
  at the Mac itself) results in nothing much.  The mouse reacts to movements
  after this, but doesn't to clicks (mousedowns).   No response to keyboard
  events either.  I have to log in remotely to kill my processes, which then
  results in the normal login dialogue box.  On logging in again, the
  print monitor comes up saying something to the effect..
		"Print failed - want to try again?'

Trying again brings no success.

Network Configuration:
	Localtalk connected to printer port.
	Ethernet card connected.

The LocalTalk connection seems to work ok as I can use atprint, and lpr
to a LaserWriter successfully.  It's only when I go through the
"Mac Interface" - it goes beserk.  Yes I know there's a way around it,
but that's not the point (ie Command-K).  I have tried printing with
background printing on and off.

Ethernet works fine too, as far as I can determine (nearby hosts talk to me).

<<<HELP>>>

    Paul Menon,
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

pnm at goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU
PH:	+61 3 660 3209

I'll leave my frustration of single screens and MacOS HD volumes, no graphics
accelerator support (ie, 8.24GC), DAs, inits, cdevs and programs which
crash the system (or render it thus for the novice user) aside, everyone seems
to be suffering this.  Wunnerful, Wunnerful, Wunnerful...