nohup and ksh... 2.0 <> 1.1

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 28 21:39:56 AEST 1990

After I tried 2.0's version of nohup, I see that it DOES work with ksh.

Sorry... :(

You see, under 1.1, nohup didn't like ksh. Alias expansion worked OK (as long
as you didn't realias nohup from it's default) but your background process
would get killed if you logged off. Now when I got 2.0, I noticed in the man
page for nohup that it was stated that nohup "only operates in csh(1) and
sh(1)." I simply assumed that this meant that 2.0 nohup was the same as 1.1
nohup.

It's not.

Anyway, sorry about this confusion for all you 2.0 owners out there. If,
however, you have 1.1, then "knohup" is available...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."