XWindows ??

peters at Apple.COM peters at Apple.COM
Thu Nov 8 08:14:04 AEST 1990

In article <911 at public.BTR.COM>, pke at public.BTR.COM (Peter Espen
pke at btr.com) writes:
|> 	So, just my opinion, of course, but why would anyone want to
|> buy an outdated and crippled X-Windows system from Apple, when you
can
|> get the most up-to-date X-Windows system FREE from
wuarchive.wustl.edu??
|> Don't make the same mistake that I did.

One of the reasons Apple *contributes* the macII ddx layer to the X
Consortium is so that "leading-edge" A/UX customers can have immediate
access to the latest bits. Its discouraging to see this strategy
"boomerang" at the hands of Mr. Epsen.

Long publication and testing lead times prevented us from shipping all
the R4 components in the June '90 release. We did, however, think it
important to deliver the vastly superior R4 server at that time (along
with MacX). Its worth noting too that since the January 1990 MIT
release, about 400 "blessed" X11R4 bug fixes have been distributed
within the X Consortium. These have been incoporated into Apple's next X
release. That's one reason many customers may choose to buy Apple's X
Window System product; three others are QA, the books, and the support
team.

--
Steve Peters
X Project Leader