XWindows ??

Peter Espen pke@btr.com pke at public.BTR.COM
Thu Nov 8 03:50:08 AEST 1990

> ............................................  Will I be able to run
> XWindow clients and server together under A/UX on a stand-alone mac?
>
> -- Don

	Yes, you can. You simply need to be able to rlogin to your
own system. A/UX, of course, supports this.

	I purchased A/UX 2.0 and the X-Windows system from Apple. If I
had to do this again today, I would not buy th X-Windows system from
Apple.  For one thing, Apple's X-Windows systems comes with Release 4
server and fonts, but all the libraries, manual pages, and include
files are Release 3. Also, Apple does not include all the clients from
MIT's release 4, and many that are included are older versions.  This
means that you can run release 4 clients, but you cannot compile
or build any release 4 clients of your own (or compile anyone elses
release 4 code).
	A really good X-Windows release 4 build for A/UX 2.0 is
available FREE from wuarchive.wustl.edu.  I have downloaded this and
have found it to be a complete and stable release 4 build. There were
a few minor bugs early on, but they are all fixed now.
	So, just my opinion, of course, but why would anyone want to
buy an outdated and crippled X-Windows system from Apple, when you can
get the most up-to-date X-Windows system FREE from wuarchive.wustl.edu??
Don't make the same mistake that I did.

	Peter Espen
	pke at btr.com
	peter at sophia.com