Swap Partition Location

Dan Gerson gerson at parc.xerox.com
Wed Nov 21 09:26:13 AEST 1990

I have a machine with both A/UX 2.0 and A/UX 1.0.1 on it (we needed to keep
the latter around since some applications don't work with 2.0).  So, rather
than duplicate the swap partition, I've reconfigured A/UX 2.0 to use the
swap partition on A/UX 1.0.1's disk.

To do this, change the SWAPDEV word in your unix image to tell it what device
and slice to use.  For example, say (either in the standalone shell or when
logged in as root):
kconfig
SWAPDEV = 0x??01
^D

where ^D is control-D, and ?? is hex for the SCSI unit number for the disk
that the swap partition is on plus 24(decimal).  For example, I set swapdev
to 0x1e01 since my swap partition is on SCSI unit 6, slice 1, and 6+24=30
which is 0x1e.  The trailing 01 is the minor device number, which is 1 for
slice 1 (the swap partition).

Then reboot.  If you don't get swapadd panics, you're ok.  If you do, kconfig
works in the standalone shell as well.

This just modifies your current unix image.  The next time you run newconfig or
whatever, or maybe even if you change your NuBus slots, the change to SWAPDEV will
be smashed.  To avoid this, you can also patch /nextunix (or whatever it is called)
which I think is the image which gets used when doing an autoconfiguration, as
well as some other file whose name escapes me, which is what newconfig uses.  Look
in /etc/config/ or something like that to find it.  It will be the base unix
image which it uses.