Swap Partition Location

William S. Johnston bill at mousetrap.canton.mi.us
Sat Nov 17 21:31:11 AEST 1990

I would like to know if installing the swap on another drive will greatly
improve the overall performance of A/UX.  I would like to install / on a
300 meg drive which runs at 16 ms but put the swap on a separate 40 meg
running at approx 15 ms.  Am I correct in thinking that when the system
needs to access the swapper it just needs to move the r/w heads on the
one drive versus if it was on the same drive with the root partition the
drive would have to constantly move the heads between the swap partition
and root?  If so how would I go about installing it in this manner.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Bill Johnston, N8HQG            | bill at mousetrap.canton.mi.us
2127 Glencoe Hills Dr. Apt #8   | Amateur: n8hqg at wa8ooh.mi.us.na
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108-1040  | Macintosh-A/UX-HP48SX-Ham Radio