modem misc questions

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Tue Nov 13 17:24:52 AEST 1990

MATLEVAN at EKU (Jerry LeVan) writes:
>I just got the data sheet on the T2500 [...]
>
>The data sheet says that there is a TALK/DATA switch.
>Question 1: Does this mean that I will have to manually
>        press the button to data before makeing a data call?
>        and if I forget to reset the switch after the data
>        call will future callers be greeted with a scream?

No. You don't have to do this. It has some special functions (you can get
it to initiate calls by using this button). You'll probably never use it.

>The data sheet says that there is an RJ45 line connector.
>Questions 2: I *thought* phones used and RJ11 connector. Would
>        I have to get a special connector put on my phone line?
>        (and are there two "plugs' on the back of the modem so
>        I can use the phone and modem on the same line?)

No problem. They supply appropriate cabling. Yes, there are two plugs.

>Question 3: Does the T2500 work well with the MacOS and A/UX 2.0?

Yes. Aren't any postings of mine reaching your site?

>I have used a Mac II with a 9600 baud connection elsewhere and was
>not very pleased with the results. The Mac does not seem to be able
>to draw characters very fast and I/O was very herky jerky. Seems like
>using "cu" would make matters even worse.

Not so. It depends upon how smart/stupid your telecom app is. Certainly,
it take more juice to move bitmaps around than it would for character-based
stuff. Cu works OK, though.

>In reguards to A/UX and cu, It appears to me that Apple has hardwired
>in the ATD command (the fourth entry in the L.sys entry for a system
>gets prepended with an ATD and sent to the modem). Would this cause
>any problems?

Why should it? Anyway, you can always say "dir" at the end of the cu to just
grab the modem without dialing anything.

>Tip seems to add slightly more functionality than cu, however I have
>not been able to get tip to work at 2400 baud with the Practical
>Peripherals modem. (1200 baud worked fine).

Have you created the appropriate entry for 2400bps operation in all the
right places? See the man page...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis