modem misc questions

Jerry LeVan MATLEVAN at EKU
Mon Nov 12 03:18:00 AEST 1990

Hello,

We recently obtained one! T1000 Telebit modem for our CS
lab. I was thinking of buying a T2500 for "home" use to
connect to the lab. I am currently using a Practical Peripherals
2400 baud modem.(Works fine, great price).

I just got the data sheet on the T2500 and there are some
questions that I would like to have answered.

The data sheet says that there is a TALK/DATA switch.
Question 1: Does this mean that I will have to manually
        press the button to data before makeing a data call?
        and if I forget to reset the switch after the data
        call will future callers be greeted with a scream?
(I have autoanswer turned off on my pp modem and I can use
it for voice and outgoing data calls).

The data sheet says that there is an RJ45 line connector.
Questions 2: I *thought* phones used and RJ11 connector. Would
        I have to get a special connector put on my phone line?
        (and are there two "plugs' on the back of the modem so
        I can use the phone and modem on the same line?)

Question 3: Does the T2500 work well with the MacOS and A/UX 2.0?

I have used a Mac II with a 9600 baud connection elsewhere and was
not very pleased with the results. The Mac does not seem to be able
to draw characters very fast and I/O was very herky jerky. Seems like
using "cu" would make matters even worse.

In reguards to A/UX and cu, It appears to me that Apple has hardwired
in the ATD command (the fourth entry in the L.sys entry for a system
gets prepended with an ATD and sent to the modem). Would this cause
any problems?

Tip seems to add slightly more functionality than cu, however I have
not been able to get tip to work at 2400 baud with the Practical
Peripherals modem. (1200 baud worked fine).

Has anybody out there been able to get tip to work at speeds > 1200
with a Hayes compatible modem?

Much of my work is interactive, but I occasionaly need to get large
files (TeX, X etc...)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jerry
| Jerry LeVan                           | Phone:(606)-622-1931              |
| Department of Computer Science        |                                   |
| Eastern Kentucky University           | Email:matlevan at eku.bitnet         |
| Richmond Ky 40475                     |                                   |
|      "The series converges so slowly that it actually diverges."          |