Desktop Manager and A/UX 2.0

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Fri Nov 16 22:29:17 AEST 1990

(Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Nov14.201445.1345 at fog.ann-arbor.mi.us>,
>  brian at fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) writes:
>< Has anyone tried using the Desktop Manager with A/UX 2.0?  If so,
>< were the results favorable?
><
>Mixed.
>
>Yes, DTM works fine under A/UX. It is even included automatically, but only
>for the "/" disk(s), and you'll have to load DTM a second time (by placing
>the INIT into your System Folder) to use it for the MacOS side too.
>
>The problem is that the Desktop Manager doesn't tolerate crashes very well.
>It seems that the A/UX Startup program doesn't close the Desktop manager
>files (there's a HFSDispatch selector for this), so you tend to lose some
>icons and/or file type to application mappings.
>(It also doesn't close the old-style desktop file, but that's usually not a
>problem.)

I don't follow you. It doesn't close it? When you start A/UX? So what?
(Unless you've installed a new file w/bundle in that MacOS session, relatively
recently, I don't see what this would have to do with anything.)

>I am using the Desktop Manager under A/UX. Your mileage may vary.

I am not. But just because I don't use the MacOS stuff all that much when I'm
in A/UX, and when I do it's often touching only the Unix volume.

If my habits were different, I'd have no hesitation about doing it. One of
the ways you can make life a little easier if you _don't_ run DTM with A/UX
is to rebuild your desktop every other month _without_ DTM under MacOS. This
will create a fairly reasonable desktop for you under A/UX... Of course one
or two things may get lost between the cracks, but this is only marginally
annoying, not fatal.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis