Desktop Manager and A/UX 2.0

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Tue Nov 20 20:15:16 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Nov16.112917.18978 at panix.uucp>,
  alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
< (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
< >
< >The problem is that the Desktop Manager doesn't tolerate crashes very well.
< >It seems that the A/UX Startup program doesn't close the Desktop manager
< >files (there's a HFSDispatch selector for this), so you tend to lose some
< >icons and/or file type to application mappings.
< >(It also doesn't close the old-style desktop file, but that's usually not a
< >problem.)
<
< I don't follow you. It doesn't close it? When you start A/UX? So what?
< (Unless you've installed a new file w/bundle in that MacOS session, relatively
< recently, I don't see what this would have to do with anything.)
<
Or unless I move an application. Or add a comment to a file. Or open a folder
which has been copied to the disk without the Finder's participation.

And, when the Desktop Manager's files break, they (seem to) stay broken.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/