AUXLaserWriter problems

E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc einhorn at triton.unm.edu
Fri Nov 2 08:48:32 AEST 1990

aux.writer2.0 problems

I have AUXLaserWriter setup to produce Postscript code and pipe it into
an lpr command that forwards the file to across the network to the lpd
daemon on a NeXT machine.

Unfortunately the Postscript produced by AUXLaserWriter includes:

	statusdict begin waittimeout 300 lt{/waittimeout 300 def}if end

and the Postscript interpreter on the NeXT does not implement the waittimeout
so I have three possible solutions:

	convince AUXLaserWriter not to talk about waittimeout (Probably
	by modifying the LWPrep variants distributed w/ aux.writer2.0)

	figure out how to introuce a suitable dummy definition of
	waittimeout into the NeXT

	censor the offensive Postscript phrase between the time it is
	spoken by AUXLaserWriter and heard by the NeXT.  (Temporarily
	I am writing the Postscript to disk.  Editing it by hand and
	manualy sending it to lpr.  Ughhh!)

Anybody have any suggestions regarding the easiest automatic solution the
the problem.

Next problem.  Sometimes AUXLaserWriter fails.  Sometimes I get a dialog
box with an exclamation point in a triangle that says:  Sorry, AUXLaserWriter
cannot be used!  Haven't figured out if it's a problem with the applications
or AUXLaserWriter.  Sometimes AUXLaserWriter acts like it's working then
crashes and I find myself at a login prompt.  Sometimes things will work
ok for the applications that generally work w/ AUXLaserWriter after logging
in again.  Sometimes things don't seem to get back to "normal" till I reboot.

Is there a list of applications that have serious problems w/ AUX?  Right
now I believe the best we can say for Microsoft Works 2.00b is that it
almost works under AUX.  I suspect that the AUXLaserWriter problems w/ Works
may be general problems of Works with AUX!

 einhorn at triton.unm.edu