uucp scripts (continued)

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Sat Nov 10 00:28:04 AEST 1990

In article <46421 at apple.Apple.COM> ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>In article <1990Nov8.120740.19410 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>1) currently, Apple ships a sample /usr/lib/sendmail.cf which contains
>>information which would put bogus headers on out-system mail.
>>
>>2) To avoid sending such mail, they also graciously supply you with a
>>zero byte long sendmail.fc. No wonder your mail goes nowhere...
>>
>>3) They also supply the m4 stuff to build a real sendmail.cf but their
>>prototypes are very broken for uucp. Bang paths will work but internet-
>>style stuff fails.
>
>It's practically impossible to provide a sendmail.cf file that will work
>for all sites and network configurations. To start with sendmail is a little
>bit, eh, bohemian.

I disagree- The script I posted works well for (as far as I can tell) any
uucp-only Mac. If you hacked it to run TCP/IP as well (which I think I
managed, but I won't swear to it) you'd have a script that covers 99% of
A/UX users' needs.

>[...] So concerning sendmail you just got to trust on friendly people that
>provides working scripts, like Alexis Rosen.

Well, thanks, but I don't buy this for a second. Even if you can't do a
useable sendmail.cf for 99% of the users (I'm not convinced of this), the
m4 prototypes ought to be in working order. They are _not_. A "sample" .cf
file is quite accecptable, but the m4 stuff smacks of the same shoddy (or
nonexistant) QA that went into uucp. I get the feeling that every A/UX
person in Apple was born with a Thinnet connector in their bellybutton.
They haven't shown much concern (through 2.0) for serial stuff.

The good news is that most of this will be fixed in 2.0.1.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis