uucp scripts (continued)

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Sat Nov 10 11:44:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov9.132804.26574 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>>It's practically impossible to provide a sendmail.cf file that will work
>>for all sites and network configurations. To start with sendmail is a little
>>bit, eh, bohemian.
>
>I disagree- The script I posted works well for (as far as I can tell) any
>uucp-only Mac. If you hacked it to run TCP/IP as well (which I think I
>managed, but I won't swear to it) you'd have a script that covers 99% of
>A/UX users' needs.

You don't assume that the whole email world consists of bang and ampersand
email addresses (uucp and Internet). You have DECNET nodes, BITNET,
soon X.400 sites, various local networks with totally different email
headers, Compuserve...

Then you place an A/UX machine in one place on the node tree, and voila
you need some time to configure your sendmail scripts in order to speak
to the rest of the world.

It is true that you could make something that you believe that will work
for 99% of the cases, but you spend 99% of you time trying to fix the
last 1%.

>nonexistant) QA that went into uucp. I get the feeling that every A/UX
>person in Apple was born with a Thinnet connector in their bellybutton.
>They haven't shown much concern (through 2.0) for serial stuff.

Well, I do not have a Thinnet connector in my physical body, but I have
used sendmail and A/UX 1.0 via modem since 1988.
I personally hardly belive that one should spend a lot of time fixing
sendmail so it's userfriendly, especially in the advent of new
electronic mail networks and X.500 servers.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand at apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND