4 Megg SIMMs. Should I or shouldn't I?

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Tue Nov 6 15:15:51 AEST 1990

Bruce G. Barnett (barnett at crdgw1.ge.com) writes:
>With all this talk of adding 16 megabytes to Mac's, does anyone know
>of a NuBus card that can be used to add memory?
>Here's an interesting thought: I can get as many 256K RAMS as I want
>for free. Could a NuBus board handle 16 Meg of 256K RAMs?
>If such a board could handle 256K, 1M, and 4M modules, This would be
>the way to go.

Yes, but no...
National Semiconductor has a board that can handle up to 16MB, but I don't
know if it can take 256K simms.

In any event, you probably don't want to do this. The money you spend on the
board could instead go to 4MB SIMMs. Furthermore, access to that RAM would go
over NuBus, and would thus be _slow_ compared to regular memory. (I seem to
recall a minimun 300ns access time, though I'm not sure. That would make it
about 4 times slower, although you might make some of it back on wait states
you wouldn't need.)

Tech issues aside, the economics of the situation pretty much rule it out,
I think...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis