4 Megg SIMMs. Should I or shouldn't I?

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Wed Nov 7 00:38:27 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov6.041551.2038 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>In any event, you probably don't want to do this. The money you spend on the
>board could instead go to 4MB SIMMs. Furthermore, access to that RAM would go
>over NuBus, and would thus be _slow_ compared to regular memory. (I seem to
>recall a minimun 300ns access time, though I'm not sure. That would make it
>about 4 times slower, although you might make some of it back on wait states
>you wouldn't need.)

I didn't realize this. I knew the NuBus was slow, but this is ridiculous.
I guess I have been spoiled by *real* workstations. :-)

>   Tech issues aside, the economics of the situation pretty much rule it out,
>   I think...

Well, I thought if I could get a bare board for $200-$300, and get 16 Megs
of 256K SIMMS for free, I could come out ahead. I guess not.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett