MacFortranII for A/UX

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Nov 17 04:52:45 AEST 1990

I'm still plugging away on the comparison between NKR FORTRAN and MacFORTRANII
for A/UX (NKR Research and Absoft).

I've managed to cut compile times for MFII in half but doing a very simply
thing... adding the "-n" flag to as. (I know, I know, this doesn't affect
the compiler per se and it can be argued that this doesn't change the "compile
time" :).

Without as having to do this optimization, it now takes only about 1/2 the
time. Code size is a little bit bigger (maybe 3-4%) and speed may be decreased
a bit (when you're talking a few percent, it's hard to tell).

Anyway, this (and the other) changes in the MFII f77 shell script now
makes MFII I bit nicer to use and makes the toss-up between NKRF and MFII
even closer.

By the way, I got the latest version (V 3.2.0) of NKR FORTRAN the other day.
They've added the "trig-degree" function to their library (cosd, etc) as well
as adding more optimization. This makes their compiles a little slower and
their code a little smaller. It still doesn't support sdb though :(
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."