More strangeness with talk

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Sat Nov 17 09:21:50 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Nov16.040912.16092 at panix.uucp>,
  alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
< For reasons unrelated to the problem with talk, we rebooted the system.
<
< All of a sudden, inet.d and portmap decided they were going to work. Great.
< I've rebooted the system five or six times in the last few weeks (because of
< the modem troubles), why did they pick _now_ to work?
<
< Unfortunately, talk is _still_ not working. I don't know why. It now starts
< up and says something about checking for invitations on _caller's_ host.
< But I am the caller, and there's only one host, this one. Of course, I can
< wait forever, and it won't connect with the person I'm trying to talk to.

On this machine (which has bnet and slip, but no ethernet card) it works...

Some random thoughts:
- Do ping, telnet, ftp, ... work?
- "_caller's_" is an alias for your machine in /etc/hosts ?
- When you boot your machine, are you using "launch -v" to watch the various
  startup messages? Sometimes tthese say something interesting, but the
  default is jsut the progress bar which doesn't really tell you anything.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/