/etc/disktab is dumb? (was Re: /etc/disktab entry for microp 1578)

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Fri Nov 16 22:21:51 AEST 1990

Patrick.Hayes at cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) writes:
>Does anyone have the correct /etc/disktab entry for a Micropolis 1578 320 Mb
>full hight disk drive?

This has always confused me. How can this table possibly be helpful, these
days, with modern SCSI drives. They may have ZBR, in which case there is
_no_ correct possible entry- the number of sectors, and the skew, vary
depending on where on the drive you are (as do other factors...) For that
matter, I'm not sure you can even specify such stuff to a SCSI disk.

Is there any way to do this right, and see an advantage? Any way to do this
seriously _wrong_, and slow yourself down much?

Thanks,
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis