releasing serial ports after killing cu

Robert Prohaska rprohask at orion.oac.uci.edu
Sat Nov 24 16:29:19 AEST 1990

How do I recover control of a serial port (tty0) after terminating a session
with cu?  At present the port is busy until I call init 1.  I then wait a bit,
call init 2, wait some more and then the port becomes available.

When cu starts (or tried to start) a message is presented on the console:

"tty0 has been locked by pid xxxxxxxxxxx"

The lock action seems to be of some general type, because it happened during
an emacs session and emacs recongized the locking amd asked if I wanted to
permit it.

Ideas?   suggestions?      help!!!!!!!!!!!

bob prohaska