How do I configure mail?

Herb Weiner herbw at midas.WR.TEK.COM
Thu Oct 25 06:02:56 AEST 1990

In article <9189 at memqa.uucp> qfhca81 at memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:
> I have tried to get the sendmail.cf file set up, but it is a puzzling beast.

I nominate the above for the understatement of the year.

My machine at home is connected to the world using uucp.  (There is no
local area network!)  I can send and receive mail using UUCP style addressing.
I am unable to send email using internet style addressing.  Neither of the
following works:

1.  Mail sent to "myuucpneighbor!user at domain" gets rejected by sendmail on
    my system as an unknown user, even though mail sent to "myuucpneighbor!joe"
    gets through.  Sendmail is refusing to let my uucp neighbor decide how to
    route the mail.  (My uucp neighbor is perfectly capable of handling this
    mail, if only I could get it there.)

2.  Mail sent to "user at domain" is also rejected as an unknown user.  I would
    like sendmail to treat this exactly like case 1 above; that is, send it
    to myuucpneighbor, who will know how to forward it.

Can anybody tell me how to configure sendmail to handle either or both of the
above situations?

Apple: I would think that a significant portion of your A/UX market is people
who use (not necessarily administer) Unix systems at work, and want to set
up a Unix system at home.  Therefore, I recommend that add information on
the above configuration to your manuals, in a form that "the rest of us"
can understand.

Thanks for any assistance that anyone can provide.
Herb Weiner (herbw at midas.wr.tek.com)