Backup & Misc

Jim Jagielski jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 9 20:48:54 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct5.212803.11873 at servalan.uucp> rmtodd at servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:
>jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>
>>As I recall, dump.bsd and restore (when used in the "full" mode) also copy
>>the SuperBlock information, so if a restore -r (or whatever the flag is, I
>>don't use dump/restore) is done, SuperBlock info is also restored. One of the
>>upshots of this is that your new filesystem must be the same size as the old
>>one.
>
>  Nope, I'm sorry, you didn't Beat the Reaper.
>
>  Restore is smart enough to automatically handle restoring onto
>filesystems with different numbers of inodes or disk blocks

I seem to recall somewhere in the documentation for 1.1, that one of the
considerations when using dump and restore was that the restored backup
had to be the same size file system that was originally dumped. In other
words, if your file system was orginally 40 megs and you wanted to "increase"
it to 80 megs, the documentation suggested NOT using dump/restore since the
file system sizes were different and it would not work. (they also mentioned
in there information about the SB being copied also)

Now I don't know if this is true or not, but it WAS in the 1.1 documentation
set... I recall this because around that time I had upgraded from an 80 MB
disk to a 170 one and wanted to: 1) increase the root FS size from 55MB (which
was about the size of 1.1) to 70MB as well as 2) make /usr it's own FS.

Now maybe the documentation was wrong, or maybe dump/restore was changed/fixed
to circumvent this (heck, I remember the days of nightly "dd" backups!) under
2.0. I simply felt the need to relay what I read, even if it IS/WAS wrong :)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."