X11R4 with shared libraries for A/UX 2.0, release 2, now available

John L. Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 9 10:03:31 AEST 1990

I'm happy to announce that the second release of my port of X11R4 to
A/UX 2.0, complete with shared libraries for libs X11, Xt, Xaw, Xmu,
and Xext, is now available from wuarchive.wustl.edu in the directory
/archive/systems/aux/X11R4 (from ftp: systems/aux/X11R4). This version
of X11R4 is based on the most recent patchlevel from MIT, X11R4pl18.

This release incorporates fixes for every bug sent to me during the
test release. The most important "usability" bug fixed was the lack
of a working xinit; that appears to have been solved, and I've used
the provided xinit and startx commands to get X running with no
trouble. The other bugs fixed are 1) xterm sometimes incorrectly
updated the screen, repeating lines or mangling characters, and 2)
the server occasionally left bits of windows around. Interestingly,
these both had the same root cause. It's quite possible that bugs
still exist; however, I haven't found any recently nor had any
reported.

The entire distribution consists of six tar files:

          Xbin.tar.Z     -- 2.5M (5M uncompressed)
          Xfonts.tar     -- 2.9M
          Xinclude.tar.Z -- 280K (1M uncompressed)
          Xlib.tar.Z     -- 1M   (2.5M uncompressed)
          Xman.tar       -- 1.3M
          Xmisc.tar.Z    -- 99K  (290K uncompressed)

plus installation instructions (in the file XREADME). There are also
several files of the form Xbin.tar.Z.a[abcd] and Xfonts.tar.[abcd];
these contain the same information as the larger tar files. They're
provided for those who can't ftp large files. When cat'ted together
they should produce the original tar file.

For those who picked up the earlier distribution, you need not get
the fonts or the man pages. Everything else has changed (the fonts
have too, actually, but not much --- just a mkfontdir in the misc
directory, and if you've gotten it running you're past that problem).

Enjoy!, and please send me problem reports so that I can fix whatever
bugs are still around (and please don't send me bugs that are in the
X code itself; I'll let MIT fix those :-)).

I'm hoping to have the source patches out within the next couple of
days.

--John