Backup Again

Jerry LeVan MATLEVAN at EKU
Sat Oct 13 12:01:00 AEST 1990

Backup, the continuing saga. I have a 80 meg disk which
holds my X11R4 source,object code and executables. I have
been trying to find a fast easy way to backup the system

I tryed the pax command:
 pax -w -b 8k -v -f /dev/rmt/tc1 .
After 2.5 hours I got:
.
.
.
./src/fix-9
./src/fixincludes
./JerryRead
pax: Ready for volume 3
pax: Type "go" when ready to proceed (or "quit" to abort): go
pax: [offset 67m+431k+0]: Continuing
pax: Ready for volume 4
pax: Type "go" when ready to proceed (or "quit" to abort): go
pax: [offset 67m+431k+0]: Continuing
pax: Ready for volume 5
pax: Type "go" when ready to proceed (or "quit" to abort): quit
pax: Aborted

I think I got it all, df -t gives
/X11R4     /dev/dsk/c5d0s0          9204 blocks   27857 i-nodes
                         total   147278 blocks   32640 i-nodes

It looks like nothing was written to volume3 and pax immediately
asked for volume4, did nothing and asked for volume5 did nothing
and I gave up and "quit". The 67 meg looks right and since the first
tape reported 37m + 736k + 0,it looks like there are 7 meg left on
the second tape.

Question: why does pax keep asking for tapes and how can we tell
when the copy is complete?

Can pax be speeded up? Dump.bsd dumped the whole disk in a little
over an hour.(but you gotta get the whole partition).

...Jerry
| Jerry LeVan                           | Phone:(606)-622-1931              |
| Department of Computer Science        |                                   |
| Eastern Kentucky University           | Email:matlevan at eku.bitnet         |
| Richmond Ky 40475                     |                                   |
|      "The series converges so slowly that it actually diverges."          |