Continued problems with A/UX 2.0 and printers

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Tue Oct 30 16:26:05 AEST 1990

rudd at calvin.Stanford.EDU writes:
>I have received several suggestions to swap the printer
>and the modem.  This was, of course, my first thought and
>it had virtually no success.  I must admit that I am able
>to get approximately one-half a page of text (this varies
>depending upon the complexity --- it appears to be a function
>of the data length...

   Yep, same happens here, forgot to mention that in my response.  (You
can tell how often I print things from MacOS :-).

>Anyway, the result of trying to swap these is that the
>system locks up.  I have tried this both with the Finder
>(Print Directory) and Word (Print) under both 32 bit and

  It happens with Maple, too, in both 32-bit and 24-bit mode.  At least with
Maple and the Finder, it isn't really locked up totally--it *will* finish
eventually (like in 5-15min.)  Alas, since MacOS doesn't multitask, your
console will be totally locked up during this time :-(.  I'd *love* to know
just what the MacOS is doing during this time.  Anybody at Apple up to an
explanation?  Anybody?

>24 bit systems (Word only, 24 bits).  Resetting the machine
>is not something I like to do with Unix active...  It may
>be an irrational fear but I would prefer not to trash my
>filesystems...

  Depending on how active your filesystems are, you probably will get away
with it, but it's still Not Really A Good Idea.

>I guess that the easiest solution is simply to get a DVI2IW2
>processor and just revert to TeX but...

  DVIMAC (DVI-to-ImageWriter 1) driver from Nelson Beebe's collection of
drivers works just fine on an ImageWriter II.  You do need to tweak printcap
some to let binary files go thru lpr correctly, though.  Send mail if you're
interested in the details, or if you've got any other questions about running
TeX under A/UX.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Motorola Skates On Intel's Head!