Misc AUX 2.0 Questions

Ron Johnston johnston at Apple.COM
Thu Oct 4 10:35:33 AEST 1990

In article <1191 at ucl-cs.UUCP> J.Pearce at ucl-cs.UUCP writes:
>I am considering purchasing AUX 2.0 on CD-ROM and would appreciate
>any help with a few questions.
>
>1. With an 80M hard disk, how much can be used directly off the
>   CD-ROM, and how much space will left for user files ?

The entire A/UX 2.0 distribution leaves on the order of 13 MBytes for user
files.  If you leave some things on CD-ROM, or rmount them from an NFS server,
you could regain quite a bit of space:  man pages, the troff tools, etc.

>2. Will AUX work with a LWIISC or do you need a postscript printer ?

You need either an AppleTalk printer OR a direct-connect serial printer.

>3. Is 4M RAM enough, or is 8M recommended ?

8M is definitely better than 4M, especially if you're using X.

>4. Is it worth getting the cache card for a IIci ?

The cache card makes an amazing difference in performance.  Get it.

>5. I know the manuals for AUX are sold separately, but does AUX
>   come with a documentation for installation.

A/UX comes with an Accessory Kit, which includes 1) Installation Guide;
2) A/UX Essentials; 3) Setting Up Accounts and Peripherals; and
4) Road Map to the other optional documentation.  This is enough documentation
to get a typical end user going.

>6. Are any of the AUX manuals absolutely essential - the complete
>   set is rather expensive.

You COULD do OK without any other manuals, especially if you already have
access to a BSD or a System V manual set.  But, you'll find it easier going
if you spring for the manuals.  There are three optional sets:
  1) User Kit - describes shells, editors, mail, uucp, troff, etc.
  2) Programmer's Kit - describes C, assembler, linker, libraries, system calls,
     Mac Toolbox, SCCS, awk, lex, yacc, etc.  Also includes man page hardcopy.
  3) System Administrator's Kit - describes administration and maintenance
     stuff like user/group admin, backup/restore, adding peripherals, fsck,
     configuration tuning, and network, NFS, sendmail, YP, etc.

/Ron Johnston - A/UX Engineering